Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Soup with Quinoa

I have also been researching the health benefits of quinoa.  It is good to use in place of rice or noodles.  So I thought, I bet it would be great in soup.  I found this website where she used it to make a chicken soup.

I followed the recipe but I didn't have Cajun spice, split peas, or smoked paprika (although I used a little paprika.)  I had an organic zucchini so I cut that up and added it.  I also chopped up a tomato I had and added that as well.  I felt that it needed more flavor, I think because I didn't have the split peas so I added some "better than chicken"  ( chicken bouillon).  It was delicious and even my husband loved it.

I do not have a picture but you can check out hers on her website http://www.fullmeasureofhappiness.com/2013/01/05/chicken-quinoa-soup-crock-pot/

Chicken Quinoa Soup (Crock Pot)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 6-8 stalks celery, diced
  • 6-8 carrots, diced
  • 2 chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 T Cajun spice seasoning
  • 1 t smoked paprika
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 C dried split peas (I used yellow, but green is fine)
  • 1/2 C quinoa, rinsed
  • 6 C low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 C water
  • salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment